Pretty in Pink: Pink-o-Ween

Pink is one of my favorite colors. I will admit that, at times, I can be a "girly girl," and I also love Hello Kitty in pink attire. For me, pink is a happy color. That may be why we see pink-colored walls at institutions. 

In the last few weeks, I have seen various Halloween images and decor with pink-sheeted ghosts, pink pumpkins, and witches dressed in pink. So, why is this happening? 

I was surprised to find out that this fad of pink Halloween decor was inspired by the movie Barbie shortly after its release in July 2023. Sure, it makes sense. Now, a year later, pink Halloween decor has become more prominent. Where was I in 2023 when the groundwork for a pink Halloween was happening? Then again, in October of 2023, I visited a country where Halloween isn't celebrated as enthusiastically as in the United States. 

October is also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month; the organization's signature color is pink. Combining the two events would raise even more awareness. 

My first pink piece of Halloween decor came about five years ago (and so far, my only pink Halloween decor). I wanted a ceramic skeleton skull, but something different and not too much like the real thing—something more decorative. Upon a visit to the Dollar Store, there it was! Am I a trendsetter? Was I about to be ahead of my time? 

No matter what, I will always remain a Halloween traditionalist. I love black and orange, and I like that splash of dark purple as an accent. As a kid, Halloween was one of my favorite holidays. As an adult, I still get those warm and fuzzy nostalgic feelings when I see the colors black and orange together. But this addition of pink?

At first, I wanted to gag, but I have to admit that it's growing on me. After all, I have pink Easter bunnies and eggs. Pink miniature bottle brush Christmas trees sit on my fireplace mantel, along with pink vintage Putz miniature houses. So, what will a few pink skulls, pink pumpkins, and pink witches' hats going to hurt? 

(Image from Ghoul at Heart)

(Image from Temu)

(Image from Shop LTK)

Comments

Popular Posts