French Toast: It's GRRREAT!

And it's origins aren't even from France. 

It's from Rome. One of the earliest versions of French toast has been traced back to the Roman Empire, where it was referred to as pan dulcis - meaning "sweet bread." Stale bread was soaked in milk and eggs, and then fried in oil or butter. 

In the 15th century, The King of England Henry V enjoyed a similar version called "pain perdu," which in French means "lost bread." So if the French didn't create French toast, then who did? 

The urban legend claims an innkeeper from Albany, New York by the name of Joseph French created the dish in 1724.

My French toast recipe comes from what I remember my parents made on Saturday or Sunday mornings. There was no written recipe, it was just taught. The basics: bread, milk, egg, and spices. For around two to three slices, I whisk well together with one egg and about 1/2 cup milk (non-fat, 1%, 2%, or whole - doesn't matter). I sprinkle into the eggy mixture cinnamon and about a teaspoon of vanilla. Sometimes in the autumn and holiday months, I will use Pumpkin Pie spice instead of cinnamon.

Now here's something I treat myself to once in a while and especially when I have guests. I add a special coating to the French toast after dipping it into the egg mixture. "It's GRRREAT!" Frosted Flakes.


Usually, I crunch them up a bit more into a rough crumb, than I did here in the photos. I left them not as "crumbed" so it would be recognizable for the photos. 



It's easy. Dip in egg-milk mixture, dip, and pat on cereal coating and fry as usual. Serve with butter (in red LeCreuset butter keeper) and maple syrup (the real thing in the beige container).  It's extra rich, but a nice treat.

Comments

Popular Posts