It's Plum Tasty: The Plum Galette

 Yes. As you peruse my page of recipes you will see several galette recipes. "Why," do you ask? They're so easy. Easy to make and easy to have around. I also like the rustic look. 

When it comes to ordering dessert at a restaurant, others around me will often order the rich chocolate dessert or the popular cheesecake. I will order a slice of fruit pie - preferably using seasonal fruit. Hold the ala mode, but a skoosh of whipped cream is often welcomed. This is why making a galette is so easy. I can get 4-5 slices for a couple of breakfasts and an easy after-dinner dessert while it takes me much longer to work through a double-crust pie. 

This plum galette I put together spur of the moment. I had a half-dozen plums in my refrigerator I needed to rid of, so a galette was the perfect answer. Now, I typically keep a few ready-to-use crusts in the refrigerator or freezer just for these spur-of-the-moment bake-a-thons. 

Ready for the oven




There is no recipe other than on the top of my head. I really think a galette is a no-fail recipe. You will need:

A single 9-inch pastry crust either from your favorite recipe or a commercial ready to use

6 to 8 large whole plums, pitted and sliced in thin wedges

1 Tbsp flour                                  

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 tsp ground cinnamon 

In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sliced fruit. Place the pie crust in the center of a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. In the center of the pie crust spread the fruit mixture evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of the edge. Arrange the plum wedges on top and dot with cold butter. Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create at least a 2-inch border. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 min until the crust is brown and the fruit is soft. 

While the galette was still hot I glazed it with Tiptree Orchard Brand Damon Plum Preserves from Essex, England, and finished it with turbinado sugar. 

PS: The warm touch of cinnamon really made this dessert. So good with a morning cup of coffee. 

Wine Recommendations: A sparkling white, either a domestic or import or a late harvest Alsace Gewurztraminer. 

                                                                                                                    

Comments

Popular Posts