One Banana, Two Banana...

Bananas are not my favorite fruit. It's not about the taste, but more about the texture. The banana will pique my interest when they are just at the point of leaving the green behind and just before they are totally ripe. I prefer bananas firm, but slightly sweet - - or I prefer them when they are smooshy and black. Once they become black, then I get to make banana bread. 

There are a thousand recipes out in the world for banana bread. Some use a lot of oil making the bread too moist and some use a lot of flour which I think somewhat mutes the taste of the banana. During quarantine, I had this one lone black spotty-looking banana sitting on my kitchen counter and I was determined to use it. I did my online research for banana bread looking for the right combination of limited measures of oil and flour, but most of all - using one banana.  

Trial and error brought me the perfect recipe - and all it takes is one banana. Now, my experiment of using two small bananas gave me the same satisfactory result as the single banana. This recipe brings a dense and sturdy cake-like bread. It's okay that it is not a high-rising loaf. The amount of sugar may throw you, but ignore it and enjoy it as the banana bread is not as sweet as you would expect. You may also add about a 1/3 of a cup of your choice of nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips. 

And last but not least, let parchment paper be your friend. You can be formal or informal. To be formal, spray your bread pan with a non-stick and measure the length and width of the pan, cut two pieces of parchment, and cross the paper over each other accordingly. To be informal, spray your bread pan with a non-stick and then scrunch a sheet of parchment paper into the shape of the pan. I tend to go more informal with the excuse of I prefer my baked goods to look "rustic." 


One Banana Banana Bread Ingredients:

One banana or two small bananas, ripe

1 egg

1  tsp. vanilla

3  Tbsp olive oil 

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1/4 cup white granulated sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/3 cup chopped nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips (optional)

In a mixing bowl mash the ripe banana well. I find a fork does the trick. Add the egg, vanilla, and oil. Mix well with the banana - again a fork works well. 

In a separate bowl blend together the dry ingredients: flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Slowly work the dry ingredients into the wet banana mixture. Once mixed fold in your choice of nuts, raisins, or baking chips - - or not at all. The bread is tasty without all of these accoutrements. 

Pour the batter into your choice of oil or parchment-lined bread pan, mini loaf pans (2-3), or muffin tin (dozen). Bake at 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the pan and the temperature gauge as per the oven. Let cool and enjoy. 

Want to pair this bread with a glass of wine? I would pour a glass of chardonnay, off-dry German Riesling, or your favorite dessert wine. Perhaps an ice wine. 

  • 1 egg



  • ¼ cup granulated sugar


  


Comments

Popular Posts